Hometo doTour l'Abbé Pierre de Canillac

Tour l'Abbé Pierre de Canillac

0
Address:
Avenue, Frédéric Mistral,
Postcode:
13990
City:
Fontvieille
Phone:
04 90 54 67 49
Route Recommend

This Tower was erected at the request of the Abbey of Montmajour, Pierre de Canillac, between 1348 and 1353. It is both a defensive and residential construction; although the tower was an important symbol of power and military strength in those times of war (the 14th and 15th centuries were punctuated with a series of conflicts, better known as the Hundred Years' War). It was combined with other constructions which housed the seigniorial residence and a ceremonial room where justice was administered.
The adjoining buildings probably date from the 13th century, but were extended and fortified during the second half of the 14th century. They underwent minor modifications in the 15th and 16th centuries (modifications to the windows, etc.).
Together with Montmajour Tower, it is one of the few examples of residential towers which can be dated to between 1350 and 1360. The crest of the Canhilac family was a greyhound, which now forms part of the coats of arms of the town of Fontvieille.
This site is also used to house temporary exhibitions, primarily by the famous painted Carl Liner.

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
Entity info.

Mon circuit touristique

Close

Hostellerie de la Tour

Restaurants and cafés
Fontvieille

Hostellerie de la Tour

Accommodation
Fontvieille

M and Ms FULLIAS

Accommodation
Fontvieille
View more points of interests