Hometo doRue des Juifs

Rue des Juifs

0
Address:
Street, Des Juifs,
Postcode:
13150
City:
Tarascon
Phone:
04 90 91 03 52
Route Recommend

The Rue des Juifs, once called the 'Rue droite des Juifs' and now known as 'Rue du Château' marks the entrance to Tarascon's old Jewish district.
Almost 300 people lived in this part of town in the Middle Ages.
The community, which was clustered together in the Jewish district, the 'carreria judayca', had two cemeteries outside the town (one on Jarnègues Island, on the current Boulevard Itam, and the other in the Les Ferrages district after the Porte Condamine). It also had a synagogue located near the ramparts with an entrance on the Rue droite des Juifs. It was both a place of worship and a meeting place for the Jewish Council. The building had one floor and contained a ritual bath. The exact location of the synagogue has not yet been found.
In the 15th century, urban Judaism was at a steady level and experienced its last period of relative tolerance during the time of King René. After the death of the monarch, the atmosphere in this now French province (1481) deteriorated, announcing the end of the communities (1500-1501).
There is evidence of Jews in Tarascon from 1150. The surname of some Tarascon Jews reveals their Langue d'Oc origins. Their ancestors must have fled the Kingdom of France during the expulsion in 1306 and they took the name of villages in the Nîmes and Montpellier regions, e.g. Jacob de Lunel, Isaac de Lattes, etc.)
In the 15th century, urban Judaism was at a steady level and experienced its last period of relative tolerance during the time of King René. After the death of the monarch, the atmosphere in this now French province (1481) deteriorated, announcing the end of the communities (1500-1501).

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
Entity info.