Hometo doChapelle Saint Jean du Grès

Chapelle Saint Jean du Grès

Road, De Saint Jean,
04 90 54 67 49
Route Recommend

This is a building of Romanesque origin, of which only the apse remains. The monks of Montmajour took possession of it in 1096. It served as a parish church until 1768, when it was dedicated to Saint-Pierre-ès-Liens.
The chapel was the subject of a procession on 24 June (re-introduced in 1964). It is currently used for a range of cultural events.
It is located on the oil-producing estate of the Mas Saint Jean, and visits must be requested by writing to the owners. Small, distinctive-looking building. Four large buttresses support the side walls. A small semi-circular apse closes off the nave. Its barrel vault roof is more than 8 m high. A stone bench runs along the entire length of the nave walls. On the northern pilaster of the triumphal arch, it is still possible to make out the dedication of the church to Saint John the Baptist and Saint John the Evangelist. The entrance, which is now to the east, was originally a door in the southern side which was later blocked off. The stone altar, adorned with two statues of Saint Peter and the Virgin, is accessed via three steps. To reach the chapel, head in the direction of the 'Route de Saint-Jean' to the north-east of the commune of Fontvieille. Today, this site is used for cultural events.

Enter the characters shown in the image.
Entity info.

Mon circuit touristique


Chapelle Saint Jean du Grès


Moulin du Saint Jean

Producers, artisan, local

Mas de l'Ange

Producers, artisan, local
View more points of interests